Search
Left Quote    Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I
- Robert Orben    
Right Quote

[login] | [Register]
Forum Index » PHP and mySQL » Viewing Topic and Replies

Viewing Topic: Attention - PHP gurus, masters and know-it-alls...
  This user is offline  lingh0e
  Subject: "Attention - PHP gurus, masters and ..." Posted: @ 9:12 am on Mar 14 2007   

Member #: 291
Since: 03/03/07

I am just beginning to learn PHP. By "learn&quo t;, I mean "googleing and sifting through other people's scripts and tutorials to find what it is I am looking for".

I have read a few books about the language. I'm sure there are more than a few PHP related courses I could take at my local college. Don't get me wrong, I know it take a lot more than that to become good at it, but the most efficient way for me, personally, to pick up the language, is by doing.

For example: I just spent the past day trying to teach myself how to print a string of database queries as requested by a form. I spent hours moving quotation marks around until I had the syntax just right... and the first time I got it to work... it felt really great.

But on to my point:
I think I would learn the fundamentals of PHP a lot faster if a few of the masters would drill me... give me homework... assign me a simple task that will force me to learn about a new aspect of the language.

Any chance anyone feels up to that?

Give me an assignment... something relatively basic, but something I will need to know how to do time and time again if I ever want to get the hang of this.

I know it sounds corny, but I'd really like to give this a shot.

Feel free to kick me if I get annoying
    Viewed: 10,926 Times | Reply to This | To top
  This user is offline  bs0d
  Subject: "re: Attention - PHP gurus, masters ..." Posted: @ 2:08 pm on Mar 14 2007    

Member #: 1
Since: 02/06/05

I know what you're saying... and you can answer your own questions by looking around at what is most commonly available.

In other words, off the top of my head - here is a list of ideas in no particular order that every php programmer has most likely coded at some point in time:

1. Comment s Script
  2. Poll / Voting
  3. Forums , including BBCode
  4. Member s System # Random Stuff (quotes, links, ect.)
  5. Managm ent System - some sort of managment of a database - forms to add, delete, modify
  6. Mailin g List
  7. Im ages and Graphs
That should be enough to get you thinking about where to go next.

Edited at 02:18:30 pm on 03/14/07

-bs0d | AllSyntax.com

Viewed: 10,919 Times | Reply to This | To top
  This user is offline  gravy
  Subject: "re: Attention - PHP gurus, masters ..." Posted: @ 4:12 pm on Mar 14 2007    

Member #: 294
Since: 03/07/07

we all know I am not a Master, a Guru or any other name that puts a php programer at the zenith of the language.

but i did wonder why there was never a php test that could be done online.

what i do now, is write the code try to get it to work for hours sometimes, and then I ask the guys here for help. when i get help I study what they have told me, to what I was doing, make the changes in my head, and viola! The code works! And most of all I have learned something.

Photo Hosting Scripts? It's what I do....

Viewed: 10,906 Times | Reply to This | To top
  This user is offline  ki
  Subject: "re: Attention - PHP gurus, masters ..." Posted: @ 7:21 pm on Mar 15 2007    

Member #: 204
Since: 09/16/06

gravy said...

< i> we all know I am not a Master, a Guru or any other name that puts a php programer at the zenith of the language.

but i did wonder why there was never a php test that could be done online.

what i do now, is write the code try to get it to work for hours sometimes, and then I ask the guys here for help. when i get help I study what they have told me, to what I was doing, make the changes in my head, and viola! The code works! And most of all I have learned something.

hmmm, i believe your trying to say why not a test like how in dreamweaver it tests the html, simple.... because PHP is decoded using a program, it would require to much ram to run it over and over again like dreamweaver does with html, is that what your asking

woohoo!

Viewed: 10,889 Times | Reply to This | To top
  Subject: "re: Attention - PHP gurus, masters ..." Posted: @ 10:03 pm on Mar 15 2007    

To test PHP, many people install PHP, MySQL and whatever else you want on an APACHE server. You run APACHE locally and test your scripts before uploading them to your 'live' site.

-bs0d | AllSyntax.com

Viewed: 10,882 Times | Reply to This | To top
  This user is offline  gravy
  Subject: "re: Attention - PHP gurus, masters ..." Posted: @ 10:57 pm on Mar 15 2007    

Member #: 294
Since: 03/07/07

bs0d said...

< i> To test PHP, many people install PHP, MySQL and whatever else you want on an APACHE server. You run APACHE locally and test your scripts before uploading them to your 'live' site.

Yup I have always wanted to do just what you said there, but have never had the, my I say, BALLS to risk my computer doing so. I have read documentation on how to do it but it all seems pretty vage. Not clear enough for me to risk my machine.

Photo Hosting Scripts? It's what I do....

Viewed: 10,880 Times | Reply to This | To top
  Subject: "re: Attention - PHP gurus, masters ..." Posted: @ 11:37 pm on Mar 15 2007    

I've also considered a tutorial to install Apache + PHP + MySQL; maybe I will work on that after the upload image article.

-bs0d | AllSyntax.com

Viewed: 10,876 Times | Reply to This | To top
  This user is offline  misterhaan
  Subject: "re: Attention - PHP gurus, masters ..." Posted: @ 6:21 pm on Mar 19 2007    

Member #: 5
Since: 02/11/05

i just set up apache/mysql/ph p on my laptop so i could give a demo of a site i'm working on even if there's no internet connection . . . everything works fine except after a few minutes i get a connection reset error and then i have to restart the machine to get it to stop turning localhost into www.localhost.c om . . .

it's newer versions of everything than what i have on my linux machine that i use for testing at home, so i'm guessing that has something to do with it.

please note that the above post is likely made up in its entirety.

Viewed: 10,725 Times | Reply to This | To top
Viewing Page: 1 of 1

1 |

You must be logged in to post on the forums. Login or Register

"AllSyntax.com" Copyright © 2002-2018; All rights lefted, all lefts righted.
Privacy Policy  |  Internet Rank