Search
Left Quote    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
- Thomas Jefferson    
Right Quote

[login] | [Register]
Forum Index » PHP and mySQL » Viewing Topic and Replies

Viewing Topic: Comments Script: New Comments For Entries On One HTML Page?
  This user is offline  chinako
  Subject: "Comments Script: New Comments For ..." Posted: @ 6:14 pm on Sep 28 2007   
Member #: 421
Since: 09/27/07

I'm brand new to the wonder that is PHP, and thanks to bs0d I feel that I'm getting a good handle on it!

Of course, I have more questions! So here is my latest one:

The script seems to be written for one page that would only have one entry that requires comments. Is there any way to modify the script to gather comments for multiple entries on the same HTML page? I have a blog I'd like to get comments on and it has many entires per HTML page... is there a numbering system I could put in place so that the comments will come up based on the entry they are left for and not just all at once spaning over a year?

Also, where do I add the comment.php link on my HTML files? Within the <head> section or before it somewhere?

Thanks so much!

Viewed: 6,728 Times | Reply to This | To top
  This user is offline  bs0d
  Subject: "re: Comments Script: New Comments ..." Posted: @ 9:14 pm on Sep 28 2007    

Member #: 1
Since: 02/06/05

Include it wherever you want the comments to appear. So if you include it in the head, then your comments will display before the rest of your site. Typically, webmasters put them at the bottom of the article or blog.

Also I notice you said HTML page; I just want to remind you that your pages should have a .php extension to be able to execute PHP coding.

If you want to display all comments, Just Modify the query: SELECT * FROM `comments` ORDER BY `date` ASC. Something like that would show the latest. Since the table in the DB holds the URL, you could display a link to each like this:

<a href="< ;? echo($result-&g t;url);?>&q uot; title="&l t;? echo($result-&g t;title); ?>"> ; <? echo($result-&g t;title); ?> </a>

something like that. That would be inside a while loop where $result = mysql_fetch_obj ect($query)

-bs0d | AllSyntax.com

Viewed: 6,721 Times | Reply to This | To top
  This user is offline  chinako
  Subject: "re: Comments Script: New Comments ..." Posted: @ 2:50 am on Sep 29 2007    
Member #: 421
Since: 09/27/07

Now if I just want the comments to show up per entry as opposed to all at once, when I put the code under each entry the comments for that entry won't come up for any other entry, right?

And if I have existing HTML pages that require the comments, can I simply rename them to be .PHP files, or do I need to add something to the existing pages to make them PHP friendly?

Viewed: 6,712 Times | Reply to This | To top
  This user is offline  bs0d
  Subject: "re: Comments Script: New Comments ..." Posted: @ 6:16 pm on Sep 29 2007    

Member #: 1
Since: 02/06/05

Yea, like this site - I have 1 script that is designed to show articles, based on the ID passed to it. So in the script, the query will select the article from the database where id = xx.

When someone comments on a page, that unique URL is stored. So if someone comments on page 2 of article 1, then the comments script will only show those comments when your on that specific page of that specific article.

You should be able to change it to a .php extension no problem, give it a shot, test the stuff out. One thing is, if your blogs or pages (whatever you're wanting comments on) are static - meaning you manually created an HTML page for each one, then you will have to insert the comments script on each of those pages you want to allow comments. If that's the case, I would considering learning more about PHP and store your articles/blogs in a database, and design a script to fetch them dynamically.

-bs0d | AllSyntax.com

Viewed: 6,679 Times | Reply to This | To top
Viewing Page: 1 of 1

1 |

You must be logged in to post on the forums. Login or Register

"AllSyntax.com" Copyright © 2002-2018; All rights lefted, all lefts righted.
Privacy Policy  |  Internet Rank