Search
Left Quote    Treat your password like your toothbrush. Don't let anybody else use it, and get a new one every six months.
- Clifford Stoll    
Right Quote

[login] | [Register]
Forum Index » PHP and mySQL » Viewing Topic and Replies

Viewing Topic: shoutbox
  This user is offline  David1159
  Subject: "shoutbox" Posted: @ 4:56 am on Oct 14 2008   

Member #: 526
Since: 12/27/07

A lot of shoutboxs are hogs on the database. I want to make a shoutbox, and have been thinking how to do this.

All I need is username/messag e. No guest stuff. Now calling the database all the time is a option. But what about using a .txt file to store the data? And simply open the file to display the txt?

Append after the old data... Username: Message

The thing is I know txt is notorious for hacking.

I am mainly looking for a very simple shoutbox, nothing fancy, yet easy on bandwidth.

Coding is simply CST... Combining $hit Together. We make different $hit to run in unison correctly.
    Viewed: 7,113 Times | Reply to This | To top
  This user is offline  GrantDouglaso8
  Subject: "re: shoutbox" Posted: @ 10:26 am on Oct 14 2008    
Member #: 765
Since: 10/13/08

Yeh, Im new to php so cant help ya but il recommend cbox.ws .. if you wish to purchase one. its the best around , been using it for a long time now.

Viewed: 7,104 Times | Reply to This | To top
  This user is offline  bs0d
  Subject: "re: shoutbox" Posted: @ 9:41 pm on Oct 14 2008    

Member #: 1
Since: 02/06/05

How about only maintaining 25 records/comment s? Read up on the comments system in the PHP articles section of this site, its essentailly the same - just scale it back a bit. It helps prevent flooding based on IP (which is good enough), and if someone does flood, the 25 record cap would prevent filling up the DB. Remember to use addslashes & stripslashes, and disable HTML from input fields from users. Make it where only registered members can "shout&q uot; - this would assist in preventing some of the junk (bots) - Also consider a CAPTCHA, you should be fine.

Edited at 09:45:40 pm on 10/14/08

-bs0d | AllSyntax.com

Viewed: 7,089 Times | Reply to This | To top
  Subject: "re: shoutbox" Posted: @ 5:08 pm on Oct 15 2008    

I've tried that bs0d. The problem is it chews bandwidth horribly. My members want a quick way to chat with each other rather than in topics.

I had the shoutbox refresh every minute to show any new messages. The shoutbox saved the old messages in primitives so it didn't have to grab all the old data from the database. Also the whole page did not refresh only a small embed section.

This is the thing, is there some way I can have it set up to know to refresh only if someone enters a new message.

---

As for the free shoutbox software, that is a no. Members can enter the name of another member in the shoutbox and pose as them. I have some immature guys on my site that will do that. I am about to ban them because they keep flaming.

Coding is simply CST... Combining $hit Together. We make different $hit to run in unison correctly.

Viewed: 7,074 Times | Reply to This | To top
  This user is offline  bs0d
  Subject: "re: shoutbox" Posted: @ 9:03 pm on Oct 15 2008    

Member #: 1
Since: 02/06/05

I say your best option is chat using AJAX. I have not built one before so I cannot help you out there, howerver.

-bs0d | AllSyntax.com

Viewed: 7,070 Times | Reply to This | To top
  Subject: "re: shoutbox" Posted: @ 3:02 am on Oct 16 2008    

I will consult my older brother about the AJAX, he codes in that and java at work all the time.

Thanks guys

Viewed: 7,062 Times | Reply to This | To top
Viewing Page: 1 of 1

1 |

You must be logged in to post on the forums. Login or Register

"AllSyntax.com" Copyright © 2002-2018; All rights lefted, all lefts righted.
Privacy Policy  |  Internet Rank