Search
Left Quote    I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
- Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM 1943    
Right Quote

[login] | [Register]
Forum Index » Web Design » Viewing Topic and Replies

Viewing Topic: move sidebar to bottom
  This user is offline  misterhaan
  Subject: "move sidebar to bottom" Posted: @ 2:58 pm on Dec 04 2008   

Member #: 5
Since: 02/11/05

i wanted to try rearranging my site's layout by having the entire width available for the page content. i currently have nearby pages, user options (login form, or username with avatar and links), online users, feedback links, statistics, and powered by sections in a sidebar on the left. for the rearranged layout i moved user options to the upper right corner and made everything else a column just above the footer.

there are some things i'm happy with and others i'm not quite so happy with. take a look and let me know what you think -- the current site is track7.org and the new design on my test server. if you had a track7 account a few months ago when i last copied the database to my test server try logging in with that -- otherwise feel free to create an account.

please note that the above post is likely made up in its entirety.
    Viewed: 8,255 Times | Reply to This | To top
  This user is offline  David1159
  Subject: "re: move sidebar to bottom" Posted: @ 7:29 pm on Dec 05 2008    

Member #: 526
Since: 12/27/07

Your link doesn't work for your test server.

Coding is simply CST... Combining $hit Together. We make different $hit to run in unison correctly.

Viewed: 8,239 Times | Reply to This | To top
  Subject: "re: move sidebar to bottom" Posted: @ 7:51 pm on Dec 05 2008    

i tried it again and it works fine for me. the test server is server from port 8086 instead of 80 like usual, and some places (like where my brother works) block non-standard ports.

it's inconvenient but i can't host on port 80 because that's blocked from my end...

Viewed: 8,235 Times | Reply to This | To top
  This user is offline  bs0d
  Subject: "re: move sidebar to bottom" Posted: @ 12:18 am on Dec 06 2008    

Member #: 1
Since: 02/06/05

link worked for me...

The text of username & password are partially covered by the text boxes for the values on the top-right hand side of your site. Also, your background is watermarked and matches the header- when you scroll the site down, you have tree's on either side of the page that kind of seem out of place, although it looks cool when you're scolled to the top.

I'm kind of torn between the options. I like the idea of no sidebars... but I haven't been in favor of the seemingly waste of space to the left and right, especially if the window is maximized.

-bs0d | AllSyntax.com

Viewed: 8,229 Times | Reply to This | To top
  Subject: "re: move sidebar to bottom" Posted: @ 6:50 pm on Dec 08 2008    

bs0d said...

< i> link worked for me...

The text of username & password are partially covered by the text boxes for the values on the top-right hand side of your site.

i probably should have tested in more browsers than just firefox i suppose .

i definitely see a problem in ie -- it appears to laying out those fields as if they took up a couple characters less space on each side than they actually do. i can't seem to figure out how it's doing that though -- i even tried putting it in a table to lay it out and it still had the same problem, so i really don't know what odd property ie is applying to those fields. it looks pretty awful though so i'll have to figure something out before putting this up on my actual site. if you have any ideas why it's doing that i'd be happy to hear them -- firebug isn't showing me anything.

it does seem to look okay after logging in though, thankfully.

< i>Also, your background is watermarked and matches the header- when you scroll the site down, you have tree's on either side of the page that kind of seem out of place, although it looks cool when you're scolled to the top.

i did that on purpose -- i like the trees on the side to come down the page with me since it's more interesting to look at than just a solid color.

< i>I'm kind of torn between the options. I like the idea of no sidebars... but I haven't been in favor of the seemingly waste of space to the left and right, especially if the window is maximized.

you mean the fixed-width layout? i did that because i find it difficult to read incredibly wide paragraphs of text. i also have my browser window sized to 1024x600 (too many sites i need to visit fail at 800 width), which normally does a pretty good job of keeping paragraphs readably narrow. in the user options you can set it to use almost the full browser window width, which is how i have it set but isn't the default.

Viewed: 8,203 Times | Reply to This | To top
  Subject: "re: move sidebar to bottom" Posted: @ 4:46 pm on Jan 26 2009    

i changed it to link to the full login page instead of having a login form on every page (later i

Viewed: 7,728 Times | Reply to This | To top
Viewing Page: 1 of 1

1 |

You must be logged in to post on the forums. Login or Register

"AllSyntax.com" Copyright © 2002-2018; All rights lefted, all lefts righted.
Privacy Policy  |  Internet Rank