When working with phone numbers in Google Sheets, it can be useful to format them in a consistent way.
This can make it easier to read and analyze the data, as well as to use it for other purposes such as sending text messages or making phone calls.
One common way to format US phone numbers is to use the following pattern:
This includes the area code in parentheses, followed by the first three digits, a dash, and the last four digits.
How To Format US Phone Numbers In Google Sheets
- Select the cells containing the phone numbers you want to format.
- Right-click on the selected cells and choose “Format cells” from the context menu.
- In the “Number” tab, select “Custom” from the list of options.
- In the “Type” field, enter the following format code:
- Click “OK” to apply the formatting to the selected cells.
Customizing The Formatting
You can also customize the formatting to suit your specific needs.
For example, if you only want to show the last four digits of the phone number, you can use the following format code:
If you want to include the country code, you can use the format code
+000 (000) 000-0000
Using Formulas To Format Phone Numbers
If you have a large number of phone numbers to format, using a formula can save you time.
One formula that you can use is the
This function allows you to apply a custom format to a cell by specifying the format code as the second argument.
Formatting US phone numbers in Google Sheets can help to improve the readability and usability of your data.
By using the steps outlined above, you can quickly and easily format your phone numbers in a consistent way.
Additionally, by using formulas, you can automate the process and save time.
- Adding Leading Zeros In Google Sheets
- Extracting Text And Numbers From A String In Google Sheets
- Negative Numbers Inside Parentheses In Google Sheets
- How To Format Negative Numbers In Google Sheets
- Mastering Array Formulas In Google Sheets: Using ArrayFormula To Apply A Formula To An Entire Column
- How To Extract Hex Code From Google Sheets
- How To Change The Date Format In Google Sheets To MM/DD/YYYY
- How To Use Weekday Name Formulas In Google Sheets
- How To Use The Current Date And Time In Google Sheets
- How To Use Serial Numbers In Google Sheets